This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Darin Deaton 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Darin Deaton
    Keymaster

Ok folks, I have had several requests and questions regarding programming for masters age athletes. I have several athletes that I presently write programming for on a 1:1 consulting basis. I am torn with providing generic programming on our 40fit site for masters athletes. Here is the reason why. When you write a blog or article on anything you make the assumption that you have a certain readership or user population. As a coach, when providing generic programming, I have no idea who is using my programming. Some athletes have the ability to look at programming and say, “that is for me and that is not.” Other athletes don’t possess the experience or knowledge to discern what they should or should not be doing. Here is where I run into problems.

As a DPT, I’ll admit that I am always focusing my efforts toward the mission of do no harm. But as a coach and trainer, I also realize that my programming done correctly would be a better option for those masters athletes that are presently doing programming designed with random thought or not appropriate for our population. Here is something else to think about. I believe that there are generally 3 levels of athletic development, fitness/recreational, competitive and elite. Who do we program for? Do we program for the fitness athlete who wants to get fit, live healthy, develop a lean muscular body and feel and look good? Do we provide programming for the locally competitive crossfitter who wants to go to that next level, or do we provide programming for the elite athlete? The more I work with individual and group athlete populations, the more I believe that there is a way to integrate some individualization and general training simultaneously. This is the framework we are presently using at CrossFit Fort Worth.

I do believe in teaching guiding principles which allow individual athletes to take the principles that they have learned and put together a program that has a basic structural framework and apply it to their own fitness needs, thus, FORTIFY Masters Training Seminar Series. But I also believe that there is a way to provide programming to a general cohort population that can be tweaked when needed.

Give me some feedback on this topic…

Coach D

Hugh Babineau
    Participant

I think you would provide excellent programming and some might be able to follow it, but personally I probably wouldn’t be able, unless I decided to stop training at my affiliate, CrossFit Tyler. I think the programming at CFT is excellent and very true to CrossFit principles. I want to continue to train there for the general coaching, programming and community. However, as a masters athlete (47) in the second of your categories (wants to compete locally/regionally), I do think the general programming at my affiliate needs to be tweaked to be optimized for my age/goals.

Darin Deaton
    Keymaster

Hugh, most boxes will allow you to do some open gym or personalized programming especially if you are a competitive member. But yes, being a part of a community is key to sustainable fitness long term. Some masters athletes are not in your situation though and they find themselves training in an environment in which they are not meeting goals, being overtrained or just simply need a new approach to their fitness. Train on…

Mike Dickehut
    Participant

I have only been Crossfitting a year, but it seems Masters training is more up to the Athelete to push yourself beyond the scaled movements. I have Fantastic Trainers in Aledo and I can get all the help I need. I was a little Mad to see how the Masters over all were treated in the Open. Thanks for creating this Program for Masters. We Love to compete also.

tskwared
    Participant

I am in same situation as Hugh. I train with all the competitive athletes at my local box. I am a local/regional competitor with goals only to continue to improve and achieve successful sustainability over the long haul. But, I’m finding that the programming at my box needs to be tweaked a bit to meet my needs as a Masters athlete.

Therefore, I am looking to compliment my existing workouts with anything you can offer. I’ve already discussed this with the trainers at my box and they are okay with it.

graffxman
    Participant

I consider myself one of those individuals lacking both the “self-awareness” and the experience/knowledge to write my own programming. The coaches at my gym are great and have become my second family, but can they really understand the needs of a masters athlete trying to be competitive? The programming they run is awesome for the vast majority of the gym population–those trying to be fit and healthy but without the competitive slant. They are also great with the competitive athletes in the 20-something age group. What I need is more age-specific, especially relating to work vs. recovery cycles.
    I now have 40fit as my home page and hope to educate myself enough that I can make the programming adjustments myself based on knowledge and science, instead of just light-loading our posted WOD’s.
    Really looking forward to your blog posts AND the comments from everyone out there.

tskwared
    Participant

Darin i think it is clear from just a few replies here that there are two demographics for our masters athlete population: recreational and competitive.

Graffxman hit it spot-on: most of us love out current boxes and trainers…..but we find that the masters athlete who wants to be competitive is struggling to keep up with programming designed for younger athletes who have more time to train, are naturally a stronger, have more mobility, and recover more quickly. I am working on all these things but tend to get frustrated without a plan that considers my unique needs as a masters class athlete.

In summary, both groups need help with programming. I realize there is no one-size-fits-all…..but perhaps there can be a “recreational” and “competitive” flavor for programming??

naz_australia
    Participant

I am 43 and am training at a box under the head coach in the general population, however, said coach also programs just for my goals. I plan going to regionals in 2 years. three days a week i go into oopen gym and he has my specific weakness training plus i have homework also. he gives instructions to a class and then will give me 10 seconds specific what he wants me to do with the wod, ie gaming, strategy, scaling etc. I compete and have been really successful locally and plan on taking it a little further in the next few months. For me to get outside programming would almost be impossible. i have discussed this with coach and bascially he offered me the same service as part of my already monthly fee. he knows me from the first day i started several years ago and has not only become a good friend, but can coach me from a distance with nothing but a glance or a wink i know what he wants of me. I do believe there is a market however, for people that are not forunate enough as me to get this service. particularly in australia :) i hope my feedback helps your cause.

Darin Deaton
    Keymaster

Naz, sounds like you’ve got your bases covered. Keep up the good work!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.